02/10/2012 to 02/12/2012 Arriving in Puerto Peñasco - we've got crabs
I was a bit concerned about getting us ready by 8:30.  We didn't have much to do to get ready, since we didn't have any water hoses or electrical
cords out, but we got up early anyway and were on track to be an hour early.  Until we couldn't get our slide in.  Our old trailer we could run for
about 7 days without electricity.  All we use on the battery is the lights and the water pump, and being conservative would get us almost 7 days.  
In this rig, the lights were dim after 3 days.  No big deal.  In our old rig, as soon as we would hook the truck up, the rig would pull from the truck
battery so we could pull the slide in.  On this rig, we plugged the truck in, I pushed the button, nothing.  Oops.  I was suggesting trying to run
extension cords from the rig to the bathroom when the C group tail gunner loaned us a generator so we could pull our slide in, and said it's an
easy wiring swap to be able to pull from the truck battery.  One more thing to put on the list, along with a solar panel to keep the battery charged.
We were still early, and everyone in team Cerveza was there on time, ready to go.  We were rig 6 of 7, and we cruised through the border.  
I saw this sign a few times on the way down to
Puerto Peñasco.  I think it is referring to the
fact that you don't have to have a sticker on
your vehicle if you stay within 145 km of the
border, but I liked to think it meant we weren't
going to have any hassles.   
We were hassle free and all 7 Cerveza
members arrived at the park around 10am.  
Only 5 hours until the welcome margaritas...
Remember how when we were in Elephant Butte, Richard got all funny one night about wanting a horse.  I only had one (very strong) margarita
in me when the guy came by with the pony.  I demanded that Richard take his pic with the pony, since he wanted a horse and all.  
Of course, the guy who
brought the pony to the
beach wasn't "free" so
Richard gave him a dollar.  
Smart man stuck around
until I had another
margarita, and then
suggested that I take a pic
with the caballito.  Of
course I need my pic with
the pequeno caballito.  I
love this pony.  And
margaritas.  Let's just say
they might make the best
margaritas ever right here
at Playa de Oro RV park.  
We took a lovely picture on
the beach at sunset.  I think
I'm saying "cheese".  
Then we headed out for dinner with another Escapees
couple(who also liked margaritas).  Since we walked to the
restaurant, we ended up in a tourist trap and were charged like
we were Americans, but the food was good.  

The next morning I was up early, cleaning the trailer while
Richard suckered some folks into pickin' and grinnin' with him.  I
kept looking out the window (we're parked very close to the
activity porch) and more and more folks kept showing up to sing
and play and dance.  I think he had 13 there at one time!
While Richard played and played, I sat around with a few of the folks.  One of
them told me I had to blog EVERY DAY if I wanted folks to consistently read it.  
Sheesh, I'm having a hard time blogging once a week.  Maybe because I put too
much in one blog.  So, I will try for at least every other day, but no promises.

While we were discussing blogs, I kept seeing a guy run laps in the park.  
Saturday is my long run day, but I wasn't sure where was "safe" to run.  I had
already asked in the park office, and they told me it was just fine to run in the
street, but I couldn't pull Richard away from his guitar long enough to get him on
his bike to follow me (cause I was still a bit of a chicken to run the streets of
Mexico unchaperoned).  So, I went and asked this guy how far his park loop
was, did he ever run on the street, etc.  

Later, at the free beer and fish fry (not as good as the margaritas!) the runner,
Darwin, came and asked if I wanted to run with him Sunday morning.  He looked
way too fast for me, and I told him I thought I couldn't keep up, but he told me he
runs slow, and would slow down for me if he needed to.  I was reassured, and
committed to run with him, then he told me that his best marathon was 3:02.  My
best is 5:12.  HOW are we going to run together again?  

One of the only things I'm scared of in Mexico (besides running in the street) is
driving.  All our other trips to Mexico, we were places where we could take
buses, taxis, walk, etc.  Here the only way to the grocery store and the bank is to
drive.  I wanted to keep postponing it, but we needed some food, so off we went.
Coming into town the day before, we were following C5, with C7 close behind, so
we didn't have to worry about much, but now we were on our own.  I'm happy to
report we made it to the bank, then the grocery store, then back to the park in
the dark, with no accidents!  

Sunday morning, 8am, I was ready, and so was Darwin.  Off we went, first at a
12 minute pace, and I thought, hey this is great.  Then he told me he just starts
out slow to warm up.  A quarter mile later my Garmin says we're doing an 11
minute pace.  By the one mile mark we're down to 10:25.  Ack!  I've got to keep
up or I'll be lost.  Finally my Garmin quit working, so I had no idea how fast we
were going, but we did about 6 miles in an hour, so that's damn fast.  I got to see
a lot of the city though!  
When I got back, Richard was already on the porch, playing guitar again.  When the other boys' wives made them go home, I finally got my
husband back, and we headed out for a walk on the beach.  We saw a dad and his boys catching things and of course Richard made me ask what
they had found.  They had mini crawfish, a baby lobster, some mini fish, and two crazy looking star fish. They looked more like octopus, but only 5
legs... a pentapus?  We continued on,
collecting beautiful shells as we went.  Richard
noticed that one of them, the prettiest one, had
a hermit crab in it.  He ended up putting that
one in his pocket with the rest, and after
several hours, remembered it.  We put him -
now named Hermie -  in a bowl with some rocks
and I explained to him that we wanted that
shell, so I put a different shell in with him, and
told him to move out.  Then we went on down
to the beach to watch the sun set.  Cowboy
Richard didn't want to get sand between his
toes again.    
When we got back, I was online trying to figure out how to tell if a hermit crab is
dead - because we hadn't really seen any action out of Hermie since being in
the pocket all afternoon, and I discovered that there are two types of hermit
crabs, ocean and land.  Since we had found this one at the ocean, at low tide,
we should assume that he was an ocean crab and needed salt water to stay
alive.  Yikes!  Here is where normal folks would have carried the thing back to
the ocean, but not us.  Instead, Richard headed down to the ocean with an
empty water jug and brought back some salt water.  Makes sense, right?  We
put Hermie in, with enough rocks on the side just in case he really was a land
crab, and then we sat back to see what would happen.  Well, Hermie started
moving all right, and then all of a sudden, the 'empty' shell that I told him to
move into started moving too!  There were more shells outside on the table, so I
figured I better check those.  Out of 16 beautiful shells that we collected on the
beach today, 11 have hermit crabs in them.  5 haven't started moving yet, but
I'm still not counting them out.  And Richard had all those in his pocket!  Insert
joke here.  Also in my research, I learned that they are nocturnal and they make
noise at night.  They may end up back down at the beach very soon...
Now Richard is calling himself a crab farmer.  Insert another joke here.