06/18/06 to 06/27/06
Sunday, 6-18, Richard finished up the stanchion for Lips, and that evening, once
we fought Sheeba off of the stanchion and wrestled Lips up onto it, she stood nice
and still, like a little lady, while we milked her.  What a difference it made.  Nice
white milk, no hooves in it or anything.  
Monday I did my usual internet job search while Richard worked on the goat pens.  

Tuesday morning, 6-19, on the way to milk Lips, I saw a nest with brand new baby
birds.  I knew they were new cause there was still an unhatched egg.
After goat-milking, we drove all around looking at manufactured housing.  They don't
have any decent resale value, but they are less expensive than a site built house,
and we can't get anyone out here to do anything, so we may end up with one.  I'm too
picky though, so who knows.  On the way to evening milking, I checked the nest
again.  This time I saw mama, so I know these are lark sparrow babies.  I don't know
what happened to the third egg, but it was gone, without a third baby.  The two little
birds are bigger already, after only 12 hours!
Wednesday we drove to Fredericksburg to buy lumber for the bunkhouse.  I called
Granny and Grandpa and planned to go to their house with pizza for lunch.  At
noon, Richard was only half done at the hardware store.  Finally, I had to leave him
there while I went to eat pizza.  I took Granny some goat milk of course, which she
loved.  Five hours and eighteen hundred dollars later, we were on our way home
with about half the stuff we will need for this bunk house.  Ya'll better come visit!
When we finally got home, I went on a nest hunt again.  This time I found a
pyrrhuloxia mama and her 4 eggs.  I also found a scissor-tailed flycatcher nest, but
it's too tall to ever know how many eggs there are.  
Friday morning when we went down to milk, there was a huge rattler stretched out in
the goat pen.  The goats were oblivious.  We milk at 7:00 AM, so it was still cool.  
When rattlers are cool, they don't rattle.  That's even more scary than when they do,
cause even though they are too cold to rattle, they can still strike.  At least when they
rattle, you know they are there.  Richard walked right by it, when I saw it I sent him for
the shovel, but the girls noticed the commotion, and where we were looking and all,
so Sheeba walked over to sniff the snake.  Crazy goat.  
I also took another picture of the lark sparrows on Friday.
Lips has been getting skinnier and skinnier since she got here, and so Friday I
called a vet we know and found out he was booked for weeks, but he does
first-come, first-serve on Saturday mornings.  So, after milking Saturday morning,
we put Lips in the truck between us and headed to town.  The vet confirmed our
suspicion that she had worms, and sent us on our way.  However, we were in town
and had errands to run.  It was too far to take the goat home and go back, so we
went to the feed store, Wal-Mart, and the hardware store.  I sat outside with her
while Richard bought more items for the bunkhouse.  There is a world famous BBQ
Goat Cook-Off every Labor Day weekend here in Brady.  This prompted many of
the patrons of the hardware store to say, "Boy, that's some good looking
bar-b-que," as they walked into the hardware store.  Funny.

I took more pictures of the lark sparrows.  Getting bigger...
That evening when we went to milk we walked by the drying up pond, where we
saw the 5th type of snake seen so far at Rancho Cielo.  I've tried to look it up, but
cannot find an ID.  It's skinny, but LONG!  Probably 5 foot.  Now, even if we get
water in that pond, I'm sure I won't go swimming!
After we milked, I was watering the garden--which is doing great, but no food
yet--when I saw this little guy.  So far I've found the biggest beetle and the smallest
lizard in that garden.  
Sunday morning, after we milked, we gave the goats the worm medicine and then
cleaned up to go to the fourth Sunday pot-luck at the Lohn Tabernacle.  Our
neighbors met us with big smiles, and said things like, "So, I hear you took the goat
shopping."  or, "Took the goat to town, huh?"  Boy, news about us crazy city folks
really travels fast!  We had her on a leash, what was the problem?

I was very sad Sunday night when we had to dump out the milk.  Since we wormed
them we're not supposed to drink the milk for a while.  Problem is, none of the worm
medicine was tested for milking goats.  They all said, "Because a withdrawal time in
milk has not been established, do not use in lactating goats."  Well, we're not
supposed to slaughter them for food within 6 days, so the milk should be good by
the end of 6 days then too, right?  I vote it's good now, but Richard won't let me drink
it.  He won't let me feed it to the cats or chickens either.  What's the worst that could
happen, we could get wormed?  I should go eat some of those brown goat pellets
laying around down there.  I wouldn't mind having worms.  What an easy way to get

I took more pictures of the lark sparrows.  They are getting really big for that nest  
Then I checked the pyrrhuloxia nest to see if they were hatching yet.  Those
pyrrhuloxia babies are the ugliest yet.  She had 4 eggs, but I only count two babies
and one egg.  Maybe there's one under the other two?
Monday the cat was acting sick.  He was all skinny and wouldn't eat.  I had asked
the vet if he could get the worms from the goats, but he said no.  I think the cat was
just jealous that we took the goat to town.  I babied him all morning, then Richard
sent me to town for MORE building materials.  I hate Home Depot, especially when
I have to wrestle with lumber and cabinets and stuff all by myself!  I am guessing
that by now you can figure out what I did when I got home.  That's right, I took more
bird pictures.  Those lark sparrows are gonna have to leave the nest soon, no
more room.  Either the last egg hatched, and there wasn't a hiding baby, or the last
egg didn't hatch and mama got rid of it, and there were three babies to begin with.  
Either way, I only see three pyrrhuloxia babies.  (And I don't want to touch them to
move them around and count them. )
Today Sheeba was sick.  She has been acting lazy, and today she was all wobbly
and stuff.  I loaded her up and rushed her to Brady, but the vet was all booked and
so they squeezed me in, but I didn't get to talk to the vet or anything, and they said
she is anemic and gave her a shot of vitamin B and some oral medicine for me to
give her, but that didn't fix her.  She got worse all day, and it was hot, and all, so I
brought her up to the house and put a sheet over the couch and got her all comfy.  
She still won't eat.  We took her down to the pen to put her to bed, but I'm still very
worried about her.  
I told my brother she was sick, and I had her on the couch, so he said, "let me get
this straight, you have the goat inside, and the washing machine outside?"  Yup.  
That's right.  Classy!

(Wrangler is trying to act uninterested.  He was so jealous that the goat was in the
house (oh yeah, he is still not allowed in the house, but the chickens eat his food no
matter where we put it, so first we let him come in to eat, then he decided he didn't
have to leave.) he even ate goat food.
Tonight the night cat came early, before the chickens had gone to bed.  
Remember, the chickens eat cat food, they love it.  Night Cat must have been
really hungry to put up with all that.